A number of specific objectives” have been developed to guide respondents as they expound on democracy and political governance issues in their countries.
- Constitutional democracy and the Rule of Law
- The Separation of powers
- Prevention and reduction of intra and inter-state conflicts
- Promotion and protection of civil and political rights.
- Ensuring accountable, efficient and effective public service delivery at the national and decentralized levels
- Promotion and protection of the rights of women
- Promotion and protection of the rights of children and young persons
- Promotion and protection of the rights of vulnerable groups
Additional information and guidelines are provided at the beginning of each objective. Respondents are reminded that the objectives and associated indicators should be interpreted flexibly so as to allow to the respondents to contextualize responses to suit their country contexts. A country‟s background and context should always be given to provide an anchor for the country to allow for domestication of questions where applicable and to guide the assessment of the country.