- Unit 0: Course outline
- Unit 1: Basic concepts
This lesson covers the following topics:
- What is terminology
- Basic concepts: term, concept, specialized discourse
- Users of terminology
- Why terminology matters
- Selected terminology resources on the web
The lesson is structured as a combination of presentations and interactive exercises.
- Unit 2: Concepts, definitions and relations
This lesson introduces the General Theory of Terminology and its premises, and then presents ways to define concepts and to position them in a broader network of knowledge through different types of relations.
Keywords: GTT, intensional definition, extensional definition, concept maps, hierarchical relations, domain-specific relations
- Unit 3: Terms across specialised domains, genres and languages
This unit includes the following topics:
- the difference between terms and words
- criteria for distinguishing between terms and non-terms
- overview of recent theories in terminology
- types of terms
- term variation
- Unit 4: Terminology management
This unit includes:
- structuring the term entry
- data categories
- TBX - TerbBase eXchange standard
- online and offline tools: termbases.eu, SDL MultiTerm, memoQ
- Unit 5: Building a corpus for term mining
This unit covers:
- What is a specialised corpus?
- Representativeness, balance, homogeneity
- Compiling a corpus: practical issues
- Testing a corpus
- Unit 6: Term extraction methods and tools
This unit covers the following topics:
- Some existing online tools for term extraction
- Linguistically-informed vs. statistical approaches
- Keyness, unithood, term grammars
- Definition extraction: pattern-based and Machine Learning methods
- Unit 7: Mining terms with Sketchengine I
This unit demonstrates the SketchEngine corpus platform. We present the following features:
- Creating a corpus
- Creating wordlists
- Exploring term use in a concordance: sorting, collocations
- Word sketches
- Keyword & term extraction
- Unit 8: Mining terms with SketchEngine II
This unit explores some slightly more advanced features of SketchEngine to explore terminology.
- Looking for specific term patterns using CQL
- Looking for definitions
- Exploring term variants with CQL and regular expressions
- Unit 9: Multilingual term mining
This unit presents SketchEngine's multilingual features, such as creating parallel corpora and extracting bilingual terminology. The unit continues with some final remarks on the procedure of mining terminology from corpora.
You will also find here the final assignment - a bilingual term mining project for the domain of your choice.
If you've looked at this course, please leave your comments and suggestions for improvement in the feedback forum below. Thanks!